D&D Next Iomandra
The campaign begins on the isle of Kheth, which begs the question: Are you a native of the island, or did events conspire to bring you here? This section describes some likely origin stories for your character. Once you’ve chosen or concocted a story for your character, you can begin to hash out the details with your DM.
YOU’RE TYRAK’N BORN
You are a Tyrak’n native. Your family lives in town and either fowels, forages, tends a modest garden, or runs a small business. You are friends with just about everyone in town, although you’ve probably forged a very close bond with at least one of the individuals listed under Personalities of Tyrak’n (above).
If you are a dragonborn between the age of 17 and 25, you may choose to be the son or daughter of Magistrate von Zarkyn, giving you a fair amount of local clout. Your father is a shrewd leader and has taken great pains over the years to appease the island’s green dragon overlord and uphold his grandfather’s good name. Your mother is warm and funny in private, but surprisingly aloof and formal in public. You fear that there’s something important she hasn’t told you or your father . . . a secret she’s likely to carry to her grave.
If you are a halfling between the age of 17 and 25, you may have had a troubled older or younger brother named Kynt who disappeared four years ago. Kynt broke the law when he persuaded two other local youths (a human boy named Jesper and a tie’fling girl named Vazia) to join him on an expedition to the ruins atop Serpent Hill. No one is allowed there, by order of the magistrate. Kynt and his friends never returned, and the magistrate refused to send a hunting party to find them.
YOU’RE A SHIPWRECKED ORPHAN
Nineteen years ago, a ship called the Morrow’s Folly crashed on the island of Kheth during a freak storm. The only survivors were the captain—a human named Denarion Morrow—and several young children. You were very young at the time (2–5 years old then, making you 21–26 years old now), so you don’t remember anything. You and the other children were adopted by the local townsfolk and raised as native Tyrak’ns. Although he’s not much of a father figure, Captain Morrow has been watching over you all these years, but he still claims that he can’t remember anything that happened before the shipwreck. You have no clue where you came from, or who your real parents are. You are friends with just about everyone in town, although you’ve probably forged a very close bond with at least one of the individuals listed under Personalities of Tyrak’n (above).
Four years ago, three of your friends (a troubled halfling boy named Kynt, a curious human lad named Jesper, and a tie’fling girl named Vazia) left town to explore Serpent Hill, even though locals are strictly forbidden to go there. They never returned. Captain Morrow urged Magistrate von Zarkyn to send a patrol to locate them, but the magistrate refused. The two men haven’t spoken since. Jesper and Vazia were survivors of the Morrow’s Folly shipwreck, and Captain Morrow regrets not going after them himself.
You were born and raised elsewhere, brought to the island of Kheth by ship, and, for whatever reason, left behind. Hoping to find your place in the community, you’ve probably forged a close bond with at least one of the individuals listed under Personalities of Tyrak’n (above).
If you are a tiefling or catfolk, you may be the son or daughter of parents who were exiled from Arkhosian soil. One or both of your parents may have been pirates or outspoken opponents of the Dragovar monarchy. In either case, they probably figured you’d be safe on a small, backwater island of little consequence to the rest of the Dragovar empire.
If you are an dragonborn between the age of 24 and 30, you may choose to be the son or daughter of Lady Thariel von Zarkyn from a previous marriage. Your father is a wealthy ship captain named Tovrel Winterscale who recently made some powerful enemies. Three weeks ago, you were spirited out of Io’calioth by your father’s servants, smuggled aboard the tradeship Lantheon, and sent to stay with your mother for your own safety. You never got a chance to say goodbye to your father, and your mother didn’t exactly welcome you with open arms. It’s been 23 years after all, and your sudden arrival has created unrest in Von Zarkyn Manor. For his part, Magistrate von Zarkyn seems to be handling the situation quite well, particularly since your mother never told him she had a child with her previous husband.
If you are a tiefling between the age of 17 and 25, you may choose to be the niece or nephew of Lucius Vezetus, the friendly proprietor of the Talisman. You were born and raised in the slums of Io’calioth, and several years ago your parents brought you to see “Uncle Lucius” as a child and left you with him without explanation. Although he makes you do chores around the tavern, your uncle has been very forgiving of your irksome adolescent antics. When asked about your parents, he merely frowns and grumbles in Infernal.
NONE OF THE ABOVE
Perhaps you’ve come to Kheth for entirely different reasons. As a result, you may or may not have forged strong ties with the community. Some brief suggestions are listed below:
• Someone you care about was arrested ten years ago by Dragovar authorities and sent to the prison island of Mheletros. You believe this person was imprisoned wrongfully, and the key to clearing his or her good name rests with a missing sea captain named Denarion Morrow . . . whom you’ve finally tracked to the backwater town of Tyrak’n.
• You swindled or double-crossed a sea captain named Lydia Taralan, only to discover afterward that she was working for Sea King Senestrago. Upon learning the truth, you fled aboard the hammership Lantheon, headed for Tyrak’n. You’ve opted to lay low until things blow over. Hopefully by then, you will have found some protection . . . or some way to make amends.
• The church of Bahamut has sent you to Tyrak’n to assist the local priest, Sister Alyson. She specifically requested “someone gifted with an adventurous spirit.” Alyson believes that certain townsfolk are blessed with an adventurous nature that will soon manifest, but they need Avandra’s assistance to survive their travails. You are the one Sister Alyson hopes will help these other adventurers “safely walk the dark path.”
• You had a vivid dream about a silver dragon. It asked you to travel to the island of Kheth and locate a man named Johias Ilum. The dragon in your dreams sounded real enough, and it also claimed that the rewards for your success would be great.
• You recently joined the crew of the skyshipship Lantheon, but your duties to date have been less than thrilling. The ship has just returned to Tyrak’n loaded with goods, and you’re beginning to think that maybe Captain Tamara isn’t going to promote you anytime soon. A sailor’s life isn’t as exciting as you’d dreamt it would be, and you see yourself wanting more.